Start a new topic
Answered

Connecting to EduRoam

Ok, so here in the UK we have EduRoam at the Universities, a joint network that allows you to connect to a fast internet connection whenever you go to a University using a single account.

To connect to Eduroam you need a username and password

Username is in the format of an email address and your password is your institutional password.

Has ANYBODY had any success connecting an LaMetric device to Eduroam?

If you have, please do share how you have managed it.

I was able to connect to our guest accounts which did not require authentication for a while, but I think this has now been updated so you have to provide some basic details... email address and phone number, so LaMetric is falling over as it cannot provide these simple details.

Joel

Best Answer

We've learned from EduRoam, they usually use WPA2-Enterprise security protocol for their users (universities, research or education communities etc).

Currently, LaMetric doesn't support such closed Wi-Fi networks.

It supports:

- Open Wi-Fi networks;

- Closed Wi-Fi networks with WEP or WPA/WPA2 security. (WEP is supported since 1.1.0 firmware);

- Hidden Wi-Fi networks (since 1.1.0 firmware, iOS client 1.1.0, Android client 1.0.8).

it would be just fine

1 person likes this

Hi guys,

Check out the new update! LaMetric Time now supports WPA/WPA2 Enterprise wifi networks. Read more here: https://help.lametric.com/support/discussions/topics/6000056456

Feel free to share your feedback with us.

This is a device that would also interest a lot of students who live on-campus.

You say “Currently, LaMetric doesn't support such closed Wi-Fi networks.” But... will it ever support? We need this ability fast!

Support for eduroam (and other closed Wi-Fi networks) would be a terrific addition to the LaMetric experience. I purchased LaMetric Time in the hope of using it in my University research centre; the social media alerts and Google Analytics insights were a key selling-point. Although I'm sure I will come to love using the device at home, I know of a number of education providers (including ourselves) who would benefit from the features it offers. Given its novelty, I'm sure this is a device that would also interest a lot of students who live on-campus, but who face a similar dilemma as regards the need to provide both a username and password in eduroam.

2 people like this
Answer

We've learned from EduRoam, they usually use WPA2-Enterprise security protocol for their users (universities, research or education communities etc).

Currently, LaMetric doesn't support such closed Wi-Fi networks.

It supports:

- Open Wi-Fi networks;

- Closed Wi-Fi networks with WEP or WPA/WPA2 security. (WEP is supported since 1.1.0 firmware);

- Hidden Wi-Fi networks (since 1.1.0 firmware, iOS client 1.1.0, Android client 1.0.8).