Start a new topic
Implemented

Direct send json to the metric

Hello

During kickstarter question its told that its possible to directly send data to the lametric via internal ip address.

So NOT via IFTTT but directly, lots of people have own steering and dont want to go in the cloud.

Please tell how this is possible

regards & thanks

ps: via mail i asked this question already and not getting the right answer :-(

just referring to IFTTT is not the answer.

8 people like this idea

Same here, I only bought this because I could feed it content from the private LAN without any data leaving the network.

And to remove any confusion, feeding from the private lan means a local machine pushing content to the device via an API, not telling the device, through the cloud, to fetch content from a local server...

4 people like this
The Intranet URL is not the same thing as was promised in the campaign.

It should be possible to use the LaMetric without connecting to their own servers.  This was also one of the reasons I supported the project and bought two.  I've been stung before by cloud-based appliances that require a sever that, for whatever reason, goes offline some day.

Please don't risk these wonderful devices becoming paperweights - let us control them on the LAN :)

4 people like this

To clarify, the KS campaign text states:

LaMetric will have two types of API: cloud API for developers that want to connect their web apps to LaMetric and secure intranet API when LaMetric for those working in closed Intranets networks with strict security rules.

I think he's referring to the "secure intranet API". Is there (or will there be) any thorough documentation on how the APIs work?

3 people like this

You can find my tutorial (LaMetric local push using PHP) here:

http://blog.aruehe.io/lametric-local-push/

3 people like this
No, this is the identifier of yor app. In this way firmware knows which app is responsible for displaying the message. Hope it helps.

2 people like this

Hey guys,

Wanted to inform you that we just released new firmware 1.5.0 and we have local push feature there. More details here. Local API mimics the one that you use to push data to cloud. Comments are appreciated.

Thank you!

2 people like this

Yes, in this case you should push to http://<your_ip>:8080/...

2 people like this

the lametric is useless for me if you can't control it locally, why did you ruin your product ? very strange..

2 people like this

For what it's worth, LaMetric has said that they are focusing first on IFTTT, which makes sense.  IFTTT will give the most added functionality to the most people.  Yes, I know it's not what you are specifically looking for, but more people will use IFTTT than will use Intranet.

That of course doesn't mean you should continue to ask for and demand that promised Intranet option.  Just understand that they will pick the low hanging fruit first.

2 people like this

Not that I want to be too much of a LaMetric Apologist, but...

1. They did come out with a plan: http://help.lametric.com/support/discussions/topics/6000021790

2. Not all promises have been kept yet, but they HAVE kept some of them.  When you use hyperbole to say ALL promises are not kept it makes people dismiss your justified unhappiness that LaMetric is moving too slowly.

3a. They created this forum for a way for users to discuss things, something many of us were asking for because using the comments section of KickStarter frankly sucked for discussions like this.  The forums serve a purpose whether LaMetric reads/responds or not.

3b. While they aren't using the forums to their best ability, LaMetrics HAS had a limited presence here and HAS responded to some threads.  So they are reacting to some questions, just not all of 'em, or as fast as we'd prefer.

4. Writing a complaint to Kickstarter will do nothing but waste your time.  Again, it's not that you aren't justified in being upset, just that it will do no good whatsoever.  Kickstarter has very little control over creators even when nothing has been delievered to the end user.  Believe me, I'm in that situation with one project right now and other than KS sending me notes saying essentially: "We're unhappy too... we'll try to contact the creator on your behave..." there isn't much they can do. And this project is one that actually delivered to the backers.

As someone who's backed more than 10 different tech projects on Kickstarter, I suspect this one will follow the same train of most of the others I've backed: It will slowly evolved to the point where it will meet most of the original campaign promises.  It may take a number of months, maybe even more than a year, but I think (hope?) it will eventually get there.

2 people like this

LaMetric is a small company, I can accept these things take time.  If nothing else, the forum serves as what's popular/important to us the users (the purchasers) of the product.

I'm sure IFTTT was "important" to the home user/soccer mom types, but not to those of us more technical, who may realize it's a trainwreck of an implementation; overly complex, insecure, bandwidth wasteful, and requires dependency on working Internet and a 3rd party service.  Now that they've accomplished that, hopefully they will circle back to local LAN communication.

Every project I've supported via Kickstarter has delays, setbacks, and changes, you absolutely have to know/expect that going in, or don't bother backing.  Kickstarter could care less to "help" after the funding is done, they just want to scrape some $$ off the top for facilitating the project, then wash their hands of it.

The best we can hope for is to remain "vocal" via email, other places online, and this forum, in hopes that LaMetric realizes local LAN communication without Internet dependency is still important to us users.

2 people like this

dont you love lametric support, they are so helpfull!

1 person likes this

Dear Knuvers,

The way it works is almost the same as if you push via cloud. First you should create "Indicator App". 

Choose communication type to be "push".

Then create UI structure and publish app privately. After that install your app to your device. Now you can push data directly to the app using URL like this: http://<lametric_ip_address>:8080/api/v1/dev/widget/update/<app_package_name>/<app_version>.

Exact local URL is available in your application details tab on developer.lametric.com.

In your particular case your URL is missing app package name in the URL. Also I want to draw your attention that ../v1/.. part should have letter 'v' in lower case.

Hope it helps.

1 person likes this

ok i did that

why is com.lametric.xxxx still in the local link?

this looks like the local push is still going to lametric servers?

https://10.0.0.116:4343/api/v1/dev/widget/update/com.lametric.529fe44e85bedf/1

1 person likes this

yes I agree!, please put the prio on this first instead of other things.
i also back you for 2 sets because of this

i also talked to you lametric during kickstarter.

please read the remarks and questions on kickstarter.

please gibe use the specs, im getting nowhere now :-(

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment